Saturday, June 4, 2016

6/4- Get Lost and Draw

It's the weekend!  Every weekend with #TERPart the emphasis will be on doing something interesting and creating work in response to it.  Today your challenge is to get lost and draw.

Go somewhere you've never been- it can be a different way to drive home, a new restaurant, or just google where you are choose a local place you've never been.  Go anywhere you haven't been then draw-any kind of drawing is great on any kind of surface- draw in your sketchbook or draw without looking on a menu- anything goes, be creative (extra points if you can incorporate items from the location into the drawing itself)!


I used to be uptight about knowing where I was and not getting lost then I began to question that idea and started to intentionally get lost exploring and seeing it as an adventure.  This idea was tested on my first trip to Japan and China when I truly had no idea where I was going and would be lost for longer stretches but rather than letting anxiety and panic set hold I choose instead to just enjoy the moment.  I remember getting on a boat in Hong Kong that I was hoping might lead me to Lantau Island to see the Tian Tan Buddha but not being sure or able to really ask anyone, so I enjoyed the ride.  I managed to eventually end up in the right place and it taught me how powerful it can be to let go of the illusion of control.


If you want some drawing inspiration check out the video below from a great local artist Tommy Kane.  His drawings are amazing and I love watching his process.

No comments:

Post a Comment